Monday, February 23, 2009

Not So Much Fun

Another crazy, busy weekend has passed and now it's Monday. I really dislike Monday.

Our dinner on Saturday night was absolutely wonderful. We really enjoyed our time together, without the children, and the quiet adult conversation that comes when you don't have to talk over screaming children. It really is a shame that it doesn't occur more often.

Markus had a birthday party on Saturday for one of his friends at school. I wanted to make sure that he went because he's still making friends at his new school and social situations outside of school are also important. Little did I know it would break his heart, and mine. He said that no one (except the birthday boy) played with him. And apparently, when they did play with him, he got hurt. Markus was so upset when he got home and said numerous times that he didn't have any fun. How sad! This is one of those times as parents when we feel completely helpless - there's nothing we can do about it. Mike and I tried to reassure him that it was just a weird situation being at someone's house instead of the other birthday party's he's attended at CEC and bowling, etc. Even still, poor thing! I just hope that school goes okay today.

This week, on Wednesday, Lent begins and for Catholics it means no more meat on Friday's... and I need to come up with something to give up for the next 40 days. Normally, I would give up chocolate or Pepsi or something like that. This year I'm just not sure what to do. I'm already not drinking much Pepsi because of the baby (not even 1 a week!) and I'm afraid of giving up chocolate/sweets because of what might happen if I start craving it! I just don't think it's right to deny a pregnant woman of her cravings!!! Does everyone want to suffer? I'm thinking maybe food isn't the way to go this year. Any other ideas? I have a good one, but I don't think Mike will like it, wink wink. Anyway, I'm looking forward to Wednesday when my entire family goes over to my Grandparent's house for polichintas (spelling?), which are basically crepes. They make them all day long and everyone comes over in shifts for dinner. I love that tradition! I'm just glad that I don't work on Wednesday's this year.

3 comments:

Shawn and Laura said...

Im going to try and not yell so much at the kids for Lent!

Unknown said...

Poor Markus. I feel bad for the kiddo. :( It's such an awkward age.

I'm not Catholic, so we'd give up things for lent. But I think I'd give up something like fast food.

Anonymous said...

There have been times when instead of giving up a food, I would anonymously do things for a person or send them cards during Lent who I may have a problem with, it helped me to overcome my feelings I may have toward them. Love Mom K